Sunday, 2 December 2007

Fingerless mittens...











I found this idéa in an old Norwegian crafting magazine from the '70s. Knitting the gloves is easy and don't take long.


If you're new to embroidery, don't make to much out of it.. sometimes less is better! I used about 5 hours to embroidery the black mittens. The green ones took some time too, but not nearly as much! If you'd like to take a better look at the stitches I used, take a look at my Flickr site.. :)

Yarn: Artic by Gjestal(1,5 skeins)
Yarn gauge: 16 st = 10 cm (4") on needle 5-6 mm
Needles: 3, 5 mm dpn's (this makes the gloves thick and firm = easy to embroidery on)
Size: Lady

If you don't have yarn with the same gauge, use something else. The pattern will work with any yarn, but you might have to adjust the number of stitches and rounds to make it fit your hand.

Pattern(left glove):
1. co 32 stitches. Purl 1, knit 1 for 15 rounds.
2. knit stockinette stitches for 15 rounds.
3. knit waste yarn into the first 8 stitches(the first needle). Go back and reknit this needle with the main colour. Keep knitting the rest of the round.
4. knit 11 rounds in stockinette stitches. Bind off all 32 st.
5. remove the waste yarn from the tumb. There should be 8 st in front, and 7 st behind the tumb. Put the st on 4 needles and knit 10 rounds of stockinette st. Bind off.
6. Weave in all ends

Make the right glove in the same way. But make sure to put the tumb on the 8 last st of the round(instead of the 8 first).


Embroidery:
I've used different kind of stitches(and I don't really know their English names).. :)
The biggest flowers are made from crocheted circles, and I applied them by using single chainstitches(the Norwegian term, correct me if I'm wrong). Some of the smaller flowers are mille fleurs(single chainstitches put together in a group). French knots, and (the ones most common in stitchery?)..

Start with the biggest flowers and attatch them with the chainstitches. Put in smaller flowers and french knots, and finish of with green leaves and other green parts of the flowers(ugh.. my English really past out here...)

Looking at this scan might help, even though the writing is in Norwegian. Sorry about my English here! Hope it makes some sense. Feel free to comment the correct terms in English, I would very much like to know!! :)

34 comments:

Monkee Maker said...

Thanks for that, Bea .... and your English is great, really!

Knit and fall back in it said...

Hobbygaasa linked your blog today, so I just had to pop over and take a look. I love your fingerless gloves, very cute.

myosotis said...

Very nice! I love to knit and embellish, and to make fingerless mittens! Greetings from Germany!
Marion

KSee said...

I found you on Raverly and had a ah ha moment when I saw your gloves. I have two pairs to jazz up and never thought to put my crewel knowlege to work. Thank you for the inspiration.

mel said...

What gorgeous mitts. Beautiful to look at, and so nice of you to share your pattern with all of us!! Thank you!!

Bea said...

Thank you!! I'm so glad you find them inspiring :D

Annettenett said...

Hihihi....akkurat det samme broderiet som jeg driver å prøver på:))) Alt om Håndarbeide ruler!
Vottene dine ble jo SÅ fine da, så flink du er!!!

KK said...

These mittens are beautiful!

Bea said...

Thanks, KK!! :)

Arpelia said...

I love these mitts so much, I keep on going back to them to drool :)

...which is why this comment is so late - I just remembered them and had to drool a bit again, haha.

DoubleDutch59 said...

I love these! I just taught myself how to knit in the round, and I'm going to do these as one of my first projects...wish me luck :-).

Bea said...

Good luck, doubledutch59!! :D

Nan said...

These are SO CUTE! Great job! I love them, but I probably would never make them :( the reason I wear mittens in the first place is because my fingers are the part of me that is cold! I guess I could make a whole mitten and embellish it like this.... hum.... anyway, love this project!

Mea said...

there are amazing! i am a beginner and the knitting looks simple but i could not manage. the circular needle seems to be way to long for them. i would spread the st on both sides and did not have enough space to knit. maybe someone can advise?

Bea said...

Hi Mea!
You need to use 4 or 5 double pointed needles for these mittens. There's not enough stitches to use a circular needle.

I'm glad you like them :)

Bea

Mea said...

Yes! i made it! not i have to figure out what does it mean "weave in all ends" and how to make the flowers.

Bea said...

"Weave in all ends" means fasten the threads/finish it :)

sukigirl said...

Gorgeous mittens!
Thanks for the free pattern!
I know how to crochet and even though I just started knitting I'm pretty sure that I can manage them, so thanks again!

Alhana said...

I never thought about embroidering mittens until I saw yours. Thank you very much for the pattern and the picture! :D

Bea said...

Thank you, both! :)

towhee said...

thank you for posting this. It's so inspiring. Love it!

SaintDH said...

Love your mittens, wondering how you embellish without making the mitten too tight? I wanted to embellish with felt, but I'm scared that if I sew onto the knit, it will tighten the stitch and not fit right. Do you know? I'm doing baby mittens.

Bea said...

Thank you, both!

SaintDh: I used crocheted circles that I attached by by sewing them on.. I was very careful not to tighten the stitches to hard, and it worked out well.
Using felt is sort of the same, I guess. Just make sure you keep the mitten steady. Try cutting a piece if card board (the same size as the mitten) and keep it inside the mitten while you work. This might help!! :)

Katie K said...

Beautiful work.

You asked for corrections of your English so here goes:

Needles: 3, 5 mm dpn's (this makes the gloves thick and firm = easy to embroidery on)

should be: Needles: 3.5 mm dpn's (this makes the gloves thick and firm, easy to embroider)

Embroidery:
I've used different kind of stitches


should be: Embroidery:
I've used different kinds of stitches

Start with the biggest flowers and attatch them with the chainstitches. Put in smaller flowers and french

should be: Start with the biggest flowers and attach them with the chain stitches. Put in smaller flowers and French

Paige Logsdon said...

I love using DPNS; I only started to knit about 4 months ago and I first learned how to use DPNs and I find it difficult to teach my friends this but I think it's great. I am going to be making this pattern. All the norwegian makes me want to take up learning again!

HobbyMommy said...

These are really lovely... thanks for sharing!!

Paula460 said...

I love them! thanks for sharing.

Taraski said...

How do you bind off? I know how to end a full mitten with closed end but not when it's supposed to be fingerless so that it would be an open end.

ritarenata said...

wonderful! i love it.
rita

Wendy said...

great mittens

Moon said...

I have used your base pattern *tons* of times....easy to remember/adjust. Just wanted to say Thanks!

NoImaFrayedKnot said...

You are adorable! Thank you for posting these beautiful gloves on Ravelry. I hope to learn the embroidery stitches in time to make a lovely Christmas gift for my mother!

Judy Shankle said...

Thanks for the wonderful knitting patterns. I did an online search for embroidered glove patterns and was so pleased to discover your blog.

My father was born in Lillestom, Norway, in 1923. My grandparents immigrated to the US when my dad was only 3 months old.

I was so pleased to find your blog and I will be using your embroidery ideas on some fingerless gloves I am knitting. I feel a connection to my Norwegian heritage.

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest. I live near Seattle in Washington state. Thank again!



Judy Shankle said...

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest! I was so pleased to find your blog with crewel embroidery ideas for knit gloves. I feel a connection to my Norwegian heritage.

My father was born in Lillestrom, Norway, in the early 20's. My grandparents immigrated to the US when he was only 3 months old.

Thanks again.