Sunday, 10 August 2008

Photographer mittens


Use 5 dpn's, and sport weight yarn.

The right mitten:
1. CO 40, knit 2, purl 2 for 20 rounds
2. Knit all stitches for 20 rounds
3. Knit 21 stitches, knit 8 more st and put these 8 on a safety pin, knit 11 st. **
On the next round: knit all st until you reach the 8 st at the safety pin, CO 8 new st above the thumb hole (the 8 st on the safety pin), and continue knitting all stitches for the rest of the round
4. Knit all st for 7 rounds
5. Knit 21 st, k2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, knit all remaining st on this round. Do this round twice more
6. Knit 23 st, BO 7 st(hole for the index finger), knit all remaining st
7. Knit 23 st, CO 7 st, knit all remaining st
8. Knit 21 st, k2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, knit all remaining st on this round. Do this round twice more
9. Knit until 30 rounds from the thumb hole(or more/less after trying it on)
10. Knit 1, k2tog, knit until 3 st left on second needle, ssk, k1. K1, k2tog, knit until 3 st left on fourth needle, ssk, k1. Keep doing this until you have 2 st on each needle, pull the thread through the st, and pull tight. Or you could stop at 3 st at each needle, and craft them together(like I did)..
11. Optional: crochet chain stitches around the index finger hole with some leftover yarn to make it fit better/not end up to big after some use. Make sure the hole is still big enough ;)

Left mitten: Mirror the right one, but leave out the hole for the index finger :)

** Another way of doing the thumb hole: Knit as described until 3. When you reach the thumb hole, instead of knitting 8 st and putting them on a safety pin, you could knit in some waste yarn in a different colour as followed: knit 8 st with the waste colour yarn, put the stitches back on the needle you just knitted them off. Knit the same 8 st once more, but this time with the main colour yarn, knit 11 stitches and continue the pattern at 4.

When you've finished the mitten and starts on the thumb, remove the waste yarn and pick up the stitches and put them on 4 needles. Knit the thumb as described underneat..

Thumbs:
1. Pick up 8 st at the back of the thumb and put these on two needles
2. Put the 8 st on the safety pin on two needles as well, and knit in the round until the thumb is long enough. Try it on as you knit (I use 18 rounds)
3. BO by knitting the two first st on each needle together. When 2 st left on each needle, pull the thread through all the remaining st and pull tight..

Weave in all ends, and you’re done..


30 comments:

Leanne said...

What a fantastic idea. I'm going to have to make some of these.

Bea said...

Thanks! Let me know if you do.. :)

kliz03 said...

Thanks for the great pattern! I'm new to knitting and am always looking for new projects to try.

Bea said...

I'm glad you like it! :)

Gem said...

Im making these right now - just what I need since I got my new camera!

knitty_kat said...

This is fabulous!

Arjan said...

wow, you actually have an extra English version of your blog!

Kristen said...

those are great! one of my complaints about my iPhone is i can't use the touchscreen w/ my mittens and gloves! This negates that, for sure! Check our my blog:

www.kristenmakes.wordpress.com

Teace said...

This idea is just INCREDIBLE ! I went to Canada last month and my fingers froze each time I took a picture... If only I had read this pattern before ;-)
Thank you from all the frozen fingers all around the world !

Elin H. said...

For noen smarte votter!! :)

Kate Lewis said...

These are FANTASTIC. I can't wait to give them to my brother for his birthday. Well done for writing in English. This patternwas really easy to follow. BTW - I used 3.5 DPNs with DK yarn

samsstuff said...

What a great idea! Thank you for posting the pattern

Enid said...

These are great. Not just for photography, but any digital equipment such as cell phones and mp3 players, not to mention electronics in the car.

Kate Lewis said...

I've now been asked to make some for texting with thumb holes!!!

Lynsey Gray said...

This is such an awesome Idea! useful for iPhone users too when it's as cold as it is at the moment!
I'll definitely be making some of these! I know what everyone will be getting for christmas next year! :D

Kate Lewis said...

Thanks so much Bea I have just made the first texting mitten (only one hand so far) based on your pattern. I put the hole further 2 stitches away from the thumb hole. Fab.
Kate

peaknits said...

I love these, I think I need a pair so I can use my ipod:)

Luna said...

This idea is worth millions...I broke many gloves, cutting the glove index finger .. and so went yarn...

kbreints said...

Love this! I want to buy them though, not make them....

Aria said...

I Love this! It is perfect for my sister in law! I am going to buy yarn tonight and get started!

BevKnits said...

What a great pattern. I've seen many where all the fingers are out but I like this much better. This will be also very useful for using an iPhone in the cold weather.

Bree said...

you're a genius. god bless you. ;-)

Heather said...

Thank you so much for this pattern! What a great idea!

Heather said...

This is fantastic! If I had a nickel for every time I said, "I don't want to wear gloves. I'd rather freeze than not be able to take any pictures." Thank you for this!

Cheers!
Heather @ Find That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

Aradia Goseling & Gaea Lacuna said...

Fantastic! I have a photographer I want to get a gift for and I couldn't think of what and these will be perfect! Thank you so much for sharing!

HarryMcKat said...

Hi there! I love these!!

I'm just wondering what your gauge is so that I might be able to transpose the pattern to different yarns :)

Thanks!

Bea said...

Gauge is a good question! :)

I think it's about 24st = 4" (24st = 10 cm).

Knitting-twitter said...

hi from the South.. Switzerland and
thank you very much for this great idea,
I just ran into your blog...
Have a wonderful day,
Christa

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie said...

About how many yards of yarn did this take? I have one skein that I'm looking at using, but it would be impossible to match.